Call for a Free Consultation

call us972-422-2424

plano cps lawyerFinding out that a caseworker from the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) is investigating you can be frightening and confusing. You may wonder what the allegations are, who reported you, and whether you face losing custody of your children. 

This blog answers common questions about DFPS and Child Protective Services investigations and what parents facing an investigation can do. If you are being investigated, you have the right to an attorney at any point during the investigation. 

Why is a DFPS Investigation Happening to Me? 

When someone in Texas believes child abuse or neglect is taking place, they are legally obligated to report it to DFPS or the police. Child Protective Services (CPS) is the division of DFPS required by law to investigate abuse allegations. Neighbors, divorced parents, and even older siblings can make reports of child abuse. 


Collin County TX child support attorneyParents who are faced with the prospect of going to jail must stay up-to-date on their child support obligations and are likely to face significant challenges when trying to do so. Being in jail does not automatically release you from paying child support; the only way you can change the amount you pay is by filing a request for modification.

File For a Modification of Child Support Payments

In Texas, parents can request a modification of their child support order only if one of the following circumstances are met:

  • The order was last modified or established at least three years ago.

Back to Top