How is child support enforced in Texas?


Like other parents in Texas, the court may have ordered you to make monthly payments for the support of your child. Failing to follow through with your child support obligation may not only affect your child’s quality of life, but it may also result in you facing significant consequences. Therefore, it is important for you to understand the enforcement options available to the state.

According to the Office of the Attorney General of Texas, if you neglect to make your regular child support payments, there are several enforcement actions that the state may take against you. This includes reporting your failure to pay to the credit bureaus. The attorney general’s office is required to inform these agencies of any amounts paid or owed. Further, should you receive any prizes through the state’s lottery, those winnings may be intercepted by the state and applied toward your past due balance.

Failing to make your child support payments may result in the suspension of your driving privileges, as well as of your professional or recreational permits. This may include liquor, contracting, medical, hunting or fishing licenses, among others. Additionally, the office of the attorney general may deny your request for a new or renewed passport.

Should you fall behind on your child support, but have properties, bank accounts, insurance settlements or other assets, the state may place a lien on your holdings. As a result, for example, you may be unable to access, sell or borrow against this property until your arrears are paid off, or you may be required to turn over the proceeds of a sale or refinance to apply toward your amount owed.

Court action is also a possibility for neglecting to pay your child support. The court may file a civil or criminal contempt case against you, which may result in you being assessed a fine for your missed payments or being sentenced to jail until you pay all or a specified portion of your past due balance.

The information contained in this post is for general purposes only and should not be considered legal advice.

Share To: